March 16, 2020
Oh man. They say this era is the Kali Yuga — the time of great tribulation and great LEARNING. When times are seemingly at their darkest, there is the greatest potential, the teachings say, for LIGHT to come through.
I just wanted to connect personally with the community here at Shakti School to say that truly there is no better time to become even more seated in the inherent GOODNESS of our being than now. How can we love ourselves and others more authentically and fully. Times like these remind us of how SACRED all of life is. We never know what tomorrow holds.
Here’s a small insight into my thoughts around facing the massive health scare we are all privy to on a global scale, and what I am trying to keep in my own practice right now.
- It's normal to be afraid. Try not to beat yourself up over feeing it. But try not to dwell there. In all traditions we practice the strategic use of our attention. Stay informed, but don’t run to the news every hour. When things feel chaotic it's a good time to find the center of you that is calm and unchanging. Practice returning there.
- Follow the instructions from our medical and CDC community. By this point, you are all well aware of social distancing, quarantine and hand washing. Perhaps our global community can benefit from some unintentional hibernation and the simplicity of “no events” on the horizon.
- Practice gratitude — it is what keeps our cellular matrix (and immunity) in good communication.
- Do all the things — so many of you KNOW how to care for your immunity. Choose the foods that you know boost your body. Avoid junk, sugar and fried things. Dry brush. Exercise. Sleep. Take baths.
- Neti pot neti pot neti pot.
- Oils to the ears and nose.
- Herbs that I’m leaning into during this time: echinacea, turmeric, tulsi* and my go-to for feeling yuck is Wellness Formula (which is incredible and full of all the good anti-virals and vitamins).
- Zinc. An abundance of evidence has shown the antiviral activity of zinc against a variety of viruses.
- Reishi and Astragalus. Both very well-known adaptogens and immune-protection.
- Fresh air
- Lay on the EARTH as much as possible
- Laugh — we are watching old episodes of RuPaul's Drag Race.
- Marvel at the incredible way in which our entire global community is truly united against this thing. I’ve heard reports of Chinese doctors going to Italy to help out. That’s some SAINTLY stuff right there. What about Italians coming out on their balconies in Rome to collectively sing the national anthem? Read this to feel instant heart upliftment.
- Listen to our podcast with Mary Thompson
- Practice self-regulation (join the Shakti School Subscription for meditations that do just that!) And practice co-regulation (speaking with others who can love and support you). We all need reminded that most likely things are gonna’ be okay. It is highly likely that we will survive this. And even if things get worse, we are loved and protected by our Creator.