The beginning of spring is such a magical time of the year. For many of us there is a feeling of relief having survived another winter when there is less sunshine and blue sky to keep our moods elevated. During this time, most of us are overjoyed with the sight of the newly forming buds, the daffodils poking their heads out, and the return of all the chirping birds.
In Ayurveda this is the time when the water and earth elements are most present. When water and earth come together it can make for some pretty beautiful happenings: the growth of new seedlings, flowers bloom, trees grow and reproduce, ice melts, and rivers flow freely. However, when water and earth combine it also forms mud! This mud, or kaphic overload, can take up space in our physical bodies which can cause some imbalances like lethargy, allergies, congestion, and more mucus. And what’s worse: it's often when we're feeling out of balance that we tend to reach for the things that will further take us out of balance such as overeating, laziness, overconsuming sugar or alcohol, or going down a social media spiral. Here are some things you can do to avoid getting stuck in the mud AND that will be extremely helpful for boosting your immunity.
Practices to Pacify Kapha
- Wake early
- Dry Brush
- Exercise first thing in the morning: take a brisk walk, do some jumping jacks, or go on a short run
- Keep warm
- Get an invigorating massage
- Add stimulating music to your playlist
- Go out dancing!
- Laugh and spend time with loved ones
Foods Tips to Pacify Kapha
- Add foods that are pungent, astringent, and bitter: aloe, nettle, dandelion, quinoa & barley, turmeric, mung beans, mustard greens, lemon, spiced broths
- Add apple cider vinegar to your foods
- Consume less meat
- Avoid dairy
- Add activating spices like Cayenne, ginger, black pepper, and mustard
Herbs & Supplements to Support Immunity, Viral Infections & Decrease Kapha
- Mycelized Oil of Oregano (easy absorption)
- Oil of Oregano
- Triphala (KATIE15 promo code)
- Immune Health NOW (KATIE15 promo code)
- Wellness Formula
- Paavani Hydrate Tea (SHAKTIPOWER promo code)
- Paavani Golden Milk (SHAKTIPOWER promo code)
- Reishi Mushroom
- Milk Thistle
- Vitamin D
It’s important to take care of your health at all times, but especially during flu season and other viral epidemics. These foods, supplements, and practices will help to boost your immunity and to ward off viral disease.